Here’s the easiest way to add a free chat box to your WordPress blog. If we’re fast, we can do it in 60 seconds or less! We’ll use Chatroll live chat, so you don’t even need to install any plugins. The clock is ticking, so let’s go!
- Create a Chatroll to use for your WordPress chat box. Click here to create a Chatroll for your site. Enter your Chatroll’s name in the Name box, then enter your account information and click Continue. The name you choose will appear in the chatbox title.
- Choose your WordPress Chat install instructions. If your WordPress blog is hosted on WordPress.com, choose the WordPress.com instructions. If you host your own WordPress blog (i.e. you can install WordPress plugins), choose the WordPress (Self-Hosted) instructions.
- For WordPress.com, paste the embed code into a post using HTML Editor, or into a new Text Widget. From the WordPress.com instructions, copy (Ctrl-C) the HTML embed code.
Edit a post and click the HTML tab to switch to the HTML Editor. Paste (Ctrl-V) the code where you want the chatbox to appear.
Note: You MUST switch to the HTML editor! Your Chatroll may disappear if you edit your post in the Visual Editor!
- For WordPress (Self-Hosted), install the Chatroll WordPress Chat Plugin. Follow the WordPress (Self-Hosted) instructions to find and install the plugin and add Chatroll to your sidebar, posts and pages.
- Customize your Chatroll. Click Continue to proceed to your Settings page. Use this page to manage all your Chatroll’s settings, including appearance, moderation tools and more.
You’re done! Here’s what your chat box should look like:
Congratulations, you’ve just chat-enabled your WordPress blog! If you have any problems along the way, just send an email to Chatroll Support and ask for help.
You’ve now covered the basics, but you’ll want to tweak your embedded chat box to maximize its success. Chatroll lets you customize the position, size, and color of the chat box to fit in perfectly and make the most of real-time interaction on your site.